Sunday, July 31, 2016

Patriarchy

This is addressed to feminist.

We do not live in a patriarchy. According to the dictionary a patriarchy is a society that is dominated by men, a society where women are excluded. We have two female candidates running for president and statistics have proven that more women than men vote but still you want to say that we live in a society that is dominated by men. Maybe it's true that less women are in political positions but studies have shown that less women have a desire to be in political positions and maybe that is because of sexism but nothing has proven that.

Now I get that your definition of a patriarchy is different than mine. You don't go by the dictionary definition. You define patriarchy as a sexist society that upholds gender roles and I don't disagree to an extent. But you say that this is the fault of men and that's just not true. This is the fault of all people not just men.

I don't think that the victims of sexism are only women, men can deal with sexism too. I know that you could define sexism as institutionalized and maybe this will come to a surprise to you but men do face institutionalized sexism when they are being mutilated as babies. But sexism is not only institutionalized it can happen in your everyday life. Being discriminated for your sex is sexism. You cannot look me in the eyes and tell me that men do not face that because they do and women do too. Men and women both face sexism and I would argue almost equally.

You would rather ignore women who are sexist and who enforce gender roles and instead you say that men are the ones who perpetrate all of this. The reason why I don't agree with the idea that we live in a patriarchy is because I go by the defintion given to me by the dictionary but it's evident that neither your definition nor mine holds true for our society. We do not live in a patriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fluttershy - Vertical ResizeFluttershy - Vertical Resize